Though there are many reasons for seeking relationship, it’s probably our sense of the erotic, the passionate core of our desire to connect with others, that is the true driving force behind dating and mating. When we inspect the natal chart for ‘passion indicators,’ we see various facets of passion, desire, and sexuality:
- Venus tells us the nature of our loves, our values, our idea of what relationship is like, and for a woman shows her ‘ideal Self.’
- Neptune points to the character of our life ideals, our spiritual ideals, and our fantasies.
- Uranus hints at our concept of Utopia.
- The Sun describes our Soul needs (which may or may not involve relationship).
- The Moon sings of our emotional needs, Mercury of our communication requirements (and our possible fraternal or sororal ones) and Jupiter of our social ones.
- Saturn suggests what we need to feel secure.
- Mars and Pluto focus on our need to assert ourselves, to express our life energy in the world (including via the urge to reproduce), with Mars describing a man’s ‘ideal Self’ and Pluto suggesting our darker nature, which may have sexual overtones.
Using the natal horoscope, we can cobble together a colorful and relatively full picture of the individual as a passionate Being, but we may miss out on some very important points, namely those indicated by the placement and aspects of the asteroid Eros.