Astrology Truth or Myth: You Can Spot a Cheater by Looking at Their Chart

Photo by AnnettVauteck copyright iStockphoto

You get involved in a tingly new relationship. There’s chemistry, sizzle, potential … he could be The One. After finding out his birth information, you look at his chart. What you see horrifies you. He’s a cheater! How do you know? Well, he has aspect A, which you read somewhere was a cheating red-flag. Should you dump him? Not necessarily.

There are some planetary aspects, usually involving Venus (love) and Mars (sex), that are associated with the “monogamously challenged.” Here’s a few, and the reasoning behind them:

• Mars or Venus in hard (square, opposition, conjunction) aspect to Neptune: the planet of idealism (Neptune) challenges the relationship planets. The tension between fantasy and reality creates constant dissatisfaction in relationships.
  • Mars or Venus in hard aspect to Uranus: the planet of liberation juices up the relationship planets. Novelty is pursued (Mars) or desired (Venus), making it difficult to stay with one person.
  • Mars in the Eighth House (especially in a Fire sign) in hard aspect to Pluto: the drive for sexual release is an obsession that one partner cannot fulfill. Mars is self-centered in the Fire signs. The Eighth House focuses its energies on taboo experiences, and this is amped up by Pluto.
  • Venus in the Twelfth House of secrets and the unconscious (especially in dreamy Pisces): foggy personal values can lead to false starts and yearning after impossible dreams. This person can convince himself that cheating is ok (or that he’s not really cheating).
  • Moon in hard aspect to Uranus: just when he gets comfortable (Moon), this person is jabbed by the Uranian urge to disrupt things. Boredom in established relationships is a problem.

The descriptions for all the above are accurate, but only to a point. These combinations do make for complicated relationship needs. But if one of these aspects is in your partner’s chart, don’t despair. You need to look at the rest of his chart to get the whole picture. What if his Seventh House (of relationships) ruler is in sober Saturn? And Saturn is in loyal Taurus? The condition of the Seventh House will say a lot about his relationship ideals.

Most importantly, you must consider free will. There’s always a choice on how energies in the natal chart are expressed. To illustrate my point, let’s consider some positive manifestations of the above aspects:

• Mars or Venus in hard (square, opposition, conjunction) aspect to Neptune: Neptune’s creativity and idealism can be redirected into art or focused on helping others. The tension between Mars and Neptune can create a crusader for the underdog.
  • Mars or Venus in hard aspect to Uranus: the need for excitement can be absorbed by a challenging, quirky partner. The energy can also be released in high-voltage athletics (Mars) or edgy, confrontational works of art (Venus).
  • Mars in the Eighth House (especially in a Fire sign) in hard aspect to Pluto: this combination equals pure power, but it’s not overt. Here is someone who could excel at research and investigation. Boundary-blasting intensity is necessary to keep this Mars satisfied. This person might work with the dead or be drawn to macabre subjects.
  • Venus in the Twelfth House, especially in Pisces: self-awareness is key. The more clued in he is to his Twelfth House needs, the more honest he’ll be in relationships. This could be an artist who lives a secluded life or someone who works with the sick (the Twelfth House also represents convalescence).
  • Moon in hard aspect to Uranus: a partnership with built-in freedom (like separate residences) could soak up much of this restless energy. The Moon/Uranus person is happiest when he is engaged in something that satisfies his need for restless advancement. This is the mark of someone with an intuitive grasp of computers.

These challenging aspects represent unmet needs. The tension from the hard aspects will drive our potential “cheater” to meet these needs, but it doesn’t have to result in infidelity. If another outlet can be found, and the needs are satisfied, he can be as faithful as the next person. If he chooses to be.

Related posts on cheating:

About Nadia Gilchrist

Nadia Gilchrist offers over 19 years of experience in astrology. Her writings and personal consultations focus on applying practical astrological analysis to the real world. Nadia blogs regularly at Ruby Slipper Astrology.

Comments

1. curious757 says:

this is a fantastic article, Nadia, because not only does it explain the “warnings” of a “possible” cheat, but also, reveals/explains the GOOD/positive side where energy can be directed.
    (ive read articles of happy marriages where the couple has interests/hobbies of the same, directed in that energy or they have separate hobbies/interests but always come back to eachother – it’s very lasting.)
    As a novice/new in astrology, it’s hard/difficult for me to find good astrologers/writers who are very open-minded and help/aid people but still remind them that “free will” is the most important.

2. i tend to shy away from, venus in mutable signs or moons in gemini. especially when theyre in the same chart. some may call it prejudice, i call it being proactive.

3. Sarah Jessica says:

I’ve got Mars/Nept conj Asc! Gemini desc! Aqu Venus squ Sco Uranus in the 11th! Leo Moon in the 8th squ Uranus! Plus, that Mars is in an impulsive fire sign. All that, plus a prominent Pluto in aspect with Saturn and my prominent Mars. But I have never cheated. Why not? I take my promises very seriously and I’m super loyal to a fault. Despite three planets plus Asc in Sag, almost everything else is in a fixed sign. The ruler of the sign on my desc is in Capricorn in the 1st. The way all these influences play out is that I’m looking to invest my energy in someone just as deep and loyal and serious as I am about the transformative powers of an intimate relationship and I don’t get that experience from having just a night here and there with multiple people. I do get bored, and I do need freedom, but that doesn’t mean screwing around. If the relationship I’m in isn’t with someone flexible enough and wide ranging enough to satisfy my needs, I will just break up and do so early rather than pretend to be giving something I’m not. I hate duplicity and refuse to be duplicitous. It’s been years since I had anything remotely approaching a “relationship”, though, and haven’t even been on a date since Dec. 2010.

4. Novlady says:

I have Moon Opposite Uranus. I attract Uranus energy with it in my 7th and 8th house. However, Venus rules my DSC. I have also read that my moon in Gemini may hint at infidelity. I feel I am a very loyal person.

Venus in Aries, Gemini, Sagittarius, and Aquarius alert me. However, I do agree that you have to look at the whole chart. Not to mention, you must look at your synastry. I know an Aquarius that if I would have judged by planetary signs alone I would have not trusted. However, we have some (not all) great synastry and a really nice composite. My moon sits right on his DSC so he may potentially be more emotionally comfortable with me than most being mostly fire and air.

Being that I am influenced much my Uranus, I do agree with what Nadia says about the energy needing an outlet in a constructive way. I do sense that if I became ‘bored’ with a relationship, I would ‘cheat’ by diving into other exciting interests. Also, I don’t feel I could be long term attached to anyone that wouldn’t intrigue or excite me. I am conscious of this so I think its helping me find non-traditional relationships with excitement that are healthy versus destructive. I am learning to make my own rules and when something gets stagnant for me, I can bring excitement into the equation with zest and passion versus unconsciously drawing in disruption.

5. @curious757
    Thank you! Yes, I always emphasize free will. You steer your chart, not the other way around.

6. @Sarah Jessica
    Thanks for sharing this. Proof that these aspects do not have to lead to cheating.

7. @Novlady
    Thank you for sharing, especially about the Uranian energy which gets such a bad rap in committed relationships. People forget that Uranus is also the planet of clarity so it often leads to extreme self-awareness.

8. Eme Kah says:

OH, this is excellent. I have a very challenged 12th house Venus, but my 7th house ruler is Saturn and, by chance, my Saturn is in Taurus. I’ve never cheated on anyone in my life and of all the numerous mistakes I’ve made in love, I’ve never gotten involved with anyone who’s in a relationship with someone else.

9. Not that this necessarily applies, although I think it does make this article more interesting if I ask the question… What if Venus, mars, Saturn, or Pluto were in Retrograde at the time of the person’s birth. What does that add to the table? I just discovered today that I am a “retrograde individual”, so. Just curious 🙂

10. Novlady says:

@no-perspiration
    I think that is a great question. I would like to see an article on the “retrograde” person. I would be curious as to how a retrograde similar to their natal retrograde would affect them.

I would like to know if an opposition is an “out of sign” opposition, does it still carry as much weight as an “opposing opposition”? For instance, my Moon is at 4 degrees Gemini and it “opposes” my Uranus in Scorpio at 29 degrees. Does it matter that both are at the anaretic degree? I read descriptions about Moon Opposite Uranus and can relate, at times (but, I also have Sun Conjunct Uranus and Uranus in the 7th and 8th house so I could just have some strong Uranus influences).

I have never been in a committed partnership, though would love that experience. (I have several planets in the 7th). But, part of me wonders if I haven’t been because of my Uranus streak.

11. @Eme Kah
    Thanks for sharing this real-life example!
    Saturn in Taurus is ultra-responsible. A real heavyweight.

12. @no perspiration:
    Any retrograde planet features internalized energy. The theme of that planet “goes against the grain”. For example, people with Venus retrograde would approach relationships differently than most other people, because they are concerned with forming a relationship with themselves, first. All romantic experiences go through an internal filter. I do have some articles coming up on Rx planets, so stay tuned.

13. @Novlady,
    Some astrologers do consider out of sign oppositions as valid. I don’t, simply because I’ve observed that influences diminish rapidly once a planet is out of sign. You have to draw the line somewhere.
    I would say that the Sun/Uranus conjunction is what you’re feeling. As for the house position of your Uranus….it’s either in the 7th or 8th. It can’t be in both houses, even if it’s right on the cusp. A good way to determine which house it’s in is to find out the degree that your 8th House cusp is at. If Uranus is one degree earlier, it’s in the 7th House. If it’s bang on the degree of your 8th House cusp, it’s in the 8th House.

14. I have a few of those aspects, but I ain’t a cheater.

Sun Sag, 12th
    Moon Aquarius, 2nd
    Venus Sag, 1st
    Mars Scorp, 10th
    Neptune Capricorn, 1st
    Uranus Sag, 1st

Venus & Mars conjunct Neptune
    Venus conjunct Uranus

I would say that my issue comes up before the relationship starts because I can’t fathom cheating when being with 1 person is more than enough.

First, I tend to attract guys who aren’t available. They usually have a gf, just broke up and still aren’t over the gf or they are more aloof than I am. Surely this has something to do with self sabotaging so I won’t get into a deep emotional involvement.

After that, I keep the guy in the friendzone for an uncomfortable (for him) amount of time because it takes me a while to open up and take the step into romance. While in a relationship, I feel trapped easily (Venus Sag) but struggle with wanting to be close to a person (Mars Scorp I guess) and struggle with not wanting to be seriously emotionally involved (Moon in Aqua I think).

To me, friendships are the best. You aren’t obligated like you are with family and there aren’t the impossible expectations of romance getting in the way. My ideal was always to fall in love with a good friend, but now at 24 I feel like relationships at this age are more work than they’re worth.

Anyway, great article and I love the positive manifestations of those aspects.

15. Ellen Nicholas says:

Nadia, this is the best essay on the subject I’ve come across! I could also use many of your aspects listed, to indicate whether a person is drawn to “Polyamory” a non-monogamous lifestyle. SO accurate! I also just learned that Moon/Venus people have that dissatisfaction with whatever partner they’re with! thank you.

16. Nadia,

My Cancer boy has Venus Square Uranus. From that, he really needs his space and likes his independence. Granted, he did walk out after a girl this time last month, he has always liked his space. He said it wasn’t just to me lol! So, I figure as long as I’m a quirky partner and throw him curve balls every now and then, things will be ok. I noticed around the time this chick came into the bar – our life was pretty scheduled outside of the occasional workouts we’d do together. Ever since our talk though, I’ve seen him more often and we’ve had a lot more fun together. He also has Mars square Neptune, but his escape from reality comes in the form of video games and weed. He plays A LOT of video games for a 34 years old lol! But, as I see here, lots of people with these placements say they’d never cheated, as well as my boyfriend, but never say never.

I, however, cheated… well, kinda.. when I was younger. I also went to my Virgo ex a couple of times when my Pisces bf was obviously cheating on me. I have NONE of these aspects though. I think my Mars in Libra (and the inability to say “no”) could have been the problem. But, I meant to say that I have Saturn, Pluto, and Mercury retrograde in my chart. I can’t wait for that article! I already read up on my retrograde planets and the info deemed pretty true.

17. My venus is in his 12 house, a segret relationship …no good

18. @quiche

19. @Ellen Nicholas,
    Thank you. Yes, these aspects would work for Polyamory…another way to channel this energy.

20. @no-perspiration,
    Mars/Neptune and video games…thanks for sharing this. Makes perfect sense; male energy/aggressiveness (Mars) released in a fantasy world (Neptune).

If your boyfriend was cheating on you at the time, what you described is a classic Mars in Libra reaction. Libra reflects the behaviour of others. Mars gets angry, but can’t express it overtly in Libra so tries to even the score.

21. curious757 says:

Nadia, it makes “some” sense about Mars in Libra but I have a close family member with that placement and because he has Venus in Scorpio, he finds “cheating” disgusting and beneath him. So, instead of “balancing” the score, he instead channels that energy by hacking into his ex’s computer to find out if they’ve been cheating (he gets a intuitve feeling about it and finds out it’s true). Though, the action itself is not good, he refuses to “even” the score in that “physical way” because his sense of morals refuses to lower himself on that level. But not without giving his ex a piece of his mind before closing the door forever on them.

So I don’t find that entirely true unless there are other factors in the chart that HELP that person stop from forming that “revenge”.

22. Curious and Nadia,

It wasn’t so much as revenge as it was… “how dare you” plus I left the best relationship (Virgo) for the worst relationship (Pisces). It was mainly a sense of a familiar home when I went to the virgo’s house. I felt happy there and really regretted leaving them. The sex was their idea and, eventually, I succumbed to it. I did my fair share of snooping, too, and even tried to leave a couple of times. Eventually I was a fly by night dumper and just packed all my bags one day. It was a toxic relationship. Not so much revenge as much as “how dare you” mixed with old comforts of “home”. I know that’s justifying it, but in that particular case I just needed my bestfriend (the Virgo). When I was younger though, mars in libra gave at least most people a dinner date with me, but that was 9 times out of 10 all that ever happened. I didn’t know how to turn people down cuz I’d have to get rude. Keep in mind a lot of people think Aquarius suns are flirting with them when we’re actually just being friendly.

23. curious757 says:

@no-perspiration, you said yourself that you were very young and hopefully learned from your lesson. Sometimes, the lessons are learned through experience if there are parts in your chart that stop you from going forward with de-moralizing your self worth. I wouldn’t worry about it. No one is judging you. We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. That’s why astrology /astrologers help us conquer what’s there to AVOID those things that will degrade our self worth. And don’t blame the Sun so much as that would be similar as to a Leo Sun being a flirt too, because they demand attention. It’s how you are “aware” of yourself and your actions. You know how to keep the “distance” so they do (outsiders) do not come too close (especially the male variety) or else they may fall in love subconsciously. Similar to Leo Sun but opposite ends. Know when to be kind, friendly and when to keep “distance.” That’s your gift in your father type sun.

24. curious757 says:

@no perspiration,

I just realized, channeling your Sun to help your Mars in Libra can help you.
    “Distance” is what the Sun will do, keeping boundaries. Your drive (mars) Libra wanting to form partnerships, whether love, security, comfort, will get you in trouble. If you ‘don’t have a strong enough Venus (if it’s in Sag) Sometimes, the sag is freedom but it is also highly moralistic if channeled positively. Or if it’s in the other Venus placements, channel them positively. Libra in Mars can be helped with any of your placements if channelled positively. That means avoid dark energy that is consumed by anger, lust, or any other vice that is attainable. It will help your soul achieve a higher consciousness and enlightenment. That, because after all, we are only human and want to pursue a more evolved state.

25. Curious575,

You’re right. I should have learned a lesson from my youth. I had a military ldr with someone who called me once a week and we talked for 5 minutes during that one phonecall. I started seeing someone else and 2 months into it I still hadn’t slept with him. It wasn’t until me and the marine broke up (I was 19) that I slept with the new guy. Oddly enough, that’s what I considered cheating. When I was older (27) and visited my ex of 4+ years I came to hi more out of concern. He called to tell me he wrapped his car around the tree and lost his (our) dog in the neighborhood. I went down there to put up fliers and told the Virgo to stop drinking and hauling ass going 80 mph in his 15 mph neighborhood! I actually have Leo rising….. so it’s funny you mentioned Leo, but my Sun is in opposition to my ascendant. It says I like to start arguments for the hell of it. Maybe when I was younger, but for the most part, I don’t start arguments…. I just like to give people shit occasionally with my aqua sarcasm lol! But, with that aspect, it also says I’m “unusually sociable” which is very true. Nowadays, guys know where they stand with me. If I pick up that they think I’m flirting with them I quickly go into my “guy mode”, being the androgynous sign. So, I am very faithful, but the Pisces/Virgo thing was in my late 20s and it really was a BAD relationship. Like, I wish I could elaborate, but we don’t have time to read that book lol! I actually have my Venus in Capricorn, but the Pisces was on his best behavior til 6-8 months into it. Very chauvinistic and flirty, and my social ways might have been the reason he cheated. I do need to avoid dark energy, mainly through friendships that I choose and whatnot, but lust isn’t really an issue for me. I don’t have wandering eyes when in a relationship because I chose that partner for a specific reason. I am a guy’s gal though so I do know how to work on cars, drive them (humor), do outdoor sports, and fix things. I also have more interesting conversations with men, but the older I’ve gotten, the more obvious the line is (to be crossed). I tell people I have a boyfriend in the first conversation. My Cancer has Libra Rising and NN Libra, and his wandering eye only pisses me off when he goes chasing a girl who flirted with him while he was bartending lol!

26. Curious575,

You’re right. I should have learned a lesson from my youth. I had a military ldr with someone who called me once a week and we talked for 5 minutes during that one phonecall. I started seeing someone else and 2 months into it I still hadn’t slept with him. It wasn’t until me and the marine broke up (I was 19) that I slept with the new guy. Oddly enough, that’s what I considered cheating. When I was older (27) and visited my ex of 4+ years I came to him more out of concern. He called to tell me he wrapped his car around the tree and lost his (our) dog in the neighborhood. I went down there to put up fliers and told the Virgo to stop drinking and hauling ass going 80 mph in his 15 mph neighborhood! Thats how it started. Then his dad flew down and wanted to see me. Both our families liked us a lot, but i eventually quit coming over and focused on my pisces relationship. If i ever made a mistake, it was getting with the pisces. But hey, you live you learn. I was pretty arrogant to the fact that anyone would treat me bad or cheat on me because no one ever had up to that point. I never had enemies or anything like that. Got along with almost everyone.

I actually have Leo rising….. so it’s funny you mentioned Leo, but my Sun is in opposition to my ascendant. It says I like to start arguments for the hell of it. Maybe when I was younger, but for the most part, I don’t start arguments…. I just like to give people shit occasionally with my aqua sarcasm lol! But, with that aspect, it also says I’m “unusually sociable” which is very true. Nowadays, guys know where they stand with me. If I pick up that they think I’m flirting with them I quickly go into my “guy mode”, being the androgynous sign. So, I am very faithful, but the Pisces/Virgo thing was in my late 20s and it really was a BAD relationship. Like, I wish I could elaborate, but we don’t have time to read that book lol! I actually have my Venus in Capricorn, but the Pisces was on his best behavior til 6-8 months into it. Very chauvinistic and flirty, and my social ways might have been the reason he cheated. I do need to avoid dark energy, mainly through friendships that I choose and whatnot, but lust isn’t really an issue for me. I don’t have wandering eyes when in a relationship because I chose that partner for a specific reason. I am a guy’s gal though so I do know how to work on cars, drive them (humor), do outdoor sports, and fix things. I also have more interesting conversations with men, but the older I’ve gotten, the more obvious the line is (to be crossed). I tell people I have a boyfriend in the first conversation. My Cancer boyfriend has Libra Rising and NN Libra, and his wandering eye only pisses me off when he goes chasing a girl who flirted with him while he was bartending lol! But, the more evolved state I think, for me, is not with the opposing sex. It’s with me. More evolved state, to me, means self-actualization. An all-encompassing meditative state. That’s what I want.

27. Sarah Jessica says:

“@quiche
    Attracting guys who aren’t available could be a manifestation of the need for excitement/insecurity in relationships (Venus/Uranus). Your emphasis on “friendships” is classic Uranus (ruler of Aquarius, the sign that represents friends).”

Boy, has that shown up in my life, plus a boatload of poly friends. I’ve been prone to agonizing crushes and obsessions and gravitated to relationships that had some kind of twist, like international long distance or unusual sexuality that makes them feel too ashamed to become partnered. I go back and forth on whether I should even bother wanting someone to love me and be loved by me romantically because it just doesn’t seem possible. Maybe I should just embrace my 30’s evaporating without another baby and without a partner to come home to every night.

28. Oooh Sarah, Don’t feel like that! It is possible.

29. curious757 says:

@no-perspiration, I can tell you’re very loyal, very faithful, just be “aware” of the dangers of wanting to exact “balance” (like you said, “how dare he, I’ll show him”). Just because your partner /Significant other decided to betray you, doesn’t mean it makes it right to “show him”. I can imagine the need for it because you felt “hurt” and so betrayed. But two wrongs dont make a right.

Remember that story with Scorpio Sun Lorenna Bobbit and Aries Sun husband Bobbit? He constantly cheated on her, and even though she didn’t consciously leave him, she decided one night to cut him where it would hurt. Does it make it right? The revenge? Nope. If you dont know the story, go look it up.

30. Curious757,

Of course I know the Bobbit story! There’s something called the Bobbit Rule in bartending: you act like a dick, we’ll cut you off! Lol! Classic case of woman in toxic relationship who got crazier and madder the more the cheating or abuse went on. My relationship reinforced the idea that people can be driven to crazy. I know two wrongs don’t make a right, but how about 5 wrongs? How about daily wrongs? I didn’t do anything til a bit after 2 years into the relationship. Ended shortly after my rendezvous with the Virgo. Thanks, I do my best to remain loyal, but nowadays I’m more inclined to leave than to stay and listen to lies (if that is ever the case again).

31. Fleursdumal says:

As a side note, remotely connected to this article, I’m wondering if a lot of Saturn in the synastry and composite between 2 people can even out the “Uranian” natal tendencies of one or both of them, in that particular r.ship.

32. @Fleursdumal
    Yes, it can. In the Composite Chart especially.
    But depending on the aspects between each person and the composite chart, they may find the Composite Saturn aspects stifling.

33. Fleursdumal says:

Thank you, Nadia.

Well, the composite Saturn actually trines the Venus and Uranus and conjuncts the Jupiter of the person with the natal “uranian” tendencies. But it also quincunxes their Merc and squares their Pluto. But I think that, all in all, composite Saturn may just cool the uranian person down in a pleasant manner. Right? 😛

34. hummm, i cheated one time 2 years ago and i broke up my 8 years relationship… Uranus was conjunct my Venus in Pisces (square Neptune in Natal, looks like a Venus in 12th house right)), i also have Uranus conjunct As and Mars R Scorpion in 12 th house in my chart, the married guy have Venus in 12th in Libra conjunct AS and Venus square Neptune as me in Natal chart……ohhh Mars conjunt Neptune in his natal chart too Waouwww

35. I have mars conj. uranus tight orb., and venus excact square uranus 😉
    Venus also square mars.
    This effect was almost diminished by saturn conj. AC , saturn also conj. sun.

It’s really depend onthe rest ofthe chart and how evolved the natal is.

36. I absolutely can’t cheat. The one time i “cheated” was when my boyfriend and I were basically about to end the relationship anyway and I kissed another boy on the lips and dumped my boyfriend the next day. I felt so horrible but my relationship was absolutely over at that point anyway. STILL immature, though. i was 18!

I have my 7th house ruler venus conjunct uranus in sag, with venus sextile my moon in libra, which happens to be squared by jupiter…should be a bad sign but i carry the moral sag card! I also have saturn sextile mars…i can control my loins, and just about anything else!

My present boyfriend has many cheater aspects (and liar aspects, for good measure) but does neither of these things. He has mars in cancer opposite a neptune/uranus conjunction, mercury square neptune AND venus and moon in gemini. He actually is so picky he’s hardly hooked up with any girls … What you said about mars opp uranus channeling into sports…he used to play hockey competitively (“high voltage”) …now he’s just an eccentric weirdo…and what you said about needing a challenging and quirky partner? Thats me. I also make the confrontational art you mentioned. And we both champion the underdog with his neptune opp mars and my neptune sextile my 12th house sun. A much more noble expression is to help people than to sleep with them…

37. What if a person has Uranus conjunct Pluto in the 7th house, both opposite Moon & Venus in Pisces? Also this person has Saturn conjunct Moon & Mercury in Pisces in the 1st house. Would these aspects temper the fidelity issues?

38. Hi Nadia, my guy has Venus and mars (Capricorn) in 12th house conjunct Uranus and Neptune. Should I be worried? :/