Moon-Mars Aspects in Synastry: Sex and Psyche

When folks start learning about astrology and synastry, they run to Venus/Mars aspects to find out whether they’re compatible with their partners. Venus/Mars is about sexual give and take: my style of loving is in tune with your desire. But, as everyone knows, sex is a lot more complicated than that.

We don’t always express our love via Venus. Venus can be a diva with a come-hither look; she draws what she wants (and sometimes doesn’t want) via the principle of attraction. Venus/Mars contacts can be surprisingly shallow. Unless they’re tied up to Pluto or under the spell of Neptune or Uranus, they can also be surprisingly tame. They’re about compatibility, pure and simple. There are more passionate pair-ups.

Moon/Mars, for one. For some reason, this aspect has had a low profile in synastry. But when I hear of a synastry that is all about heat, this is one of the first aspects I look for. It has a bad reputation from the old “cookbook” schools of astrology. They used to say, “Mars equals violence/aggression, and the Moon equals emotions/comfort, therefore Mars will be mean to the Moon.” Well, yes and no, and more likely no. Not where sex is concerned.

To read the rest of this article you must purchase a Lifetime All-Access Membership, which allows you to view the entirety of Sasstrology’s archives for a one-time fee of $12.

All horoscopes and forecasts will always be free to the public. New articles are only viewable to the public for 30 days after publication.

Buy Now or read more.

All-Access Members, log in here.

Related: A man’s Mars conjunct a woman’s Moon

Photo Credit: Jason A. Samfield via Creative Commons license

About Dawn Bodrogi

Dawn Bodrogi has studied astrology since the age of twelve, and has been a practicing astrologer for over twenty years with a special emphasis on synastry. Her studies in Jungian psychology, alchemy, and Buddhist philosophy inform her work. Her upcoming book, The Inner Wheel, takes a new look at interpreting secondary progressions. You can see more of Dawn’s work at her blog, The Inner Wheel: Living with Astrology.

Comments

1. Lovely read: very insightful!
    My recent post Humor: A Mean Look at the Sun Signs

2. My husband and I are both scorpio sun and ascendant. My Mars is 25 Tau 15' 29" r and my husband's moon is 27 Tau 55' 7", both in the 7th house. After 30 years and 6 kids, we're still together and going strong. I found this mars/moon connection in our charts long ago and believed it to be a key element in our relationship. Your remarks in this article are spot on.

3. Thanks, Marisa. The earth element is great for longevity with this conjunction, as you've said. Particularly with the Moon enhanced in Taurus.

4. I had a double whammy with someone: his cancer mars trined my scorpio moon and my scorpio mars trined his cancer moon. OMG the most passionate relationship I ever had.

5. double pi vir ri says:

Loved this article!! Thanks!!

I am dating someone new, it is very intense he just reads me instinctively.

My sun, moon, mer, is conjunct his mars in Pisces
    and his moon in sag is conjunct my mars…

His sun is aries…also conjunct my venus- conjunct his venus.

Is this just more of the same?

6. Where the trine is an easier element and treads a bit more softly (though passionately), conjunctions can be very erratic and unpredictable. The emotional element can get inflated, with things getting very touchy (not in a good way) at times, particularly during transits that go over the conjunctions. Mutable signs, in particular, tend to get nervous when stressed. You’ll have to find ways of dealing with all that emotional steam. Your Mercury should be helpful here to keep the verbal lines of communication open.

Venus/Sun doesn’t work the same way as Moon/Mars. A different thing entirely. But that needs an article all of its own.

7. PiscesMoon says:

I’m so happy to have read this post! I just started seeing a guy who has a Venus-Mars conjunction in Pisces, and my Moon in Pisces is smack-dab in the middle of it. I wonder how having Venus involved effects this Moon/Mars conjunction; would it soften any harshness or upsets?

8. In theory, yes. His Venus on your Moon would make him more appreciative of who you are. But in the real world, a lot depends on how the conjunction is aspected by other planets. As I said, conjunctions are irrational. If either of you has an outer planet, or Saturn, or even Jupiter making a strong aspect to the conjunction, it will colour the dynamic between you. Pisces has a tendency to not discriminate. You’ll need some Virgo awareness to keep things balanced between you.

9. Awesome article, Dawn. I recently discovered your blog, and I’m very excited about reading everything! Jeffrey wrote an article about Moon-Mars here. His article is very specific to a man’s Mars and a woman’s Venus. I’ve been thinking about it ever since. Since the Moon is the “Feminine” and Mars is the “Masculine,” I feel like if a couple has this aspect in synastry, it’s one of many indicators of a good — or perhaps, just traditional — male-female principals. Do you have any thoughts on this aspect and its relation to archetypal female-male roles?

Thanks for your thoughts!

- Christine

10. susy zelaya says:

Leonid meteor showers and my mood = deep dreams of winter.

11. Christine,

From what I’ve seen with my work with couples, very few with this aspect split down traditional roles–but that could be because the people who consult astrologers tend not to be traditional. It could indicate a woman who plays the role of nurturer and a man who plays aggressor; but I think these days we’re all, even the most conservative of us, inclined to be more in touch with both our Mars and our Moon energies. I think society has moved on, except in the most conservative of cultures. The Moon is very different from Venus; it relates to our body, our very consciousness, it’s where we process our life experience. Venus is about taste–it has more to say about what a man likes, rather than who he is. We can’t escape the Moon, which is one of the reasons why this combination can be so sexual. Whatever touches the Moon, touches our deeper layers.

12. I’ve been searching for a reason for a mysterious mutual attraction and this could be it. His mars is conjunct my moon in Aquarius and my venus is conjunct his moon in Aquarius. I blush to the point of humiliation when he is near…for no apparent reason. I didn’t even think he was good looking at first. The pull is strong/primal and feels serious…not fun at all. It feels like we are fated to be together in some way…but the tension is almost unbearable to work through even to carry on a conversation unless it is at a distance (via-email or phone). Still..we can’t leave each other alone.

13. It´s very interesting and well explained for us who don´t have a high level of knowledge about Astrology.

Thank you.

14. Dawn, an excellent article. I read several of your blog entries (on your own blog) after reading this article and I’m very impressed. Hope your writings become a regular feature on this blog and I look forward to your book :-)

15. susy zelaya says:

I don’t understand how it works

16. suzanna, you seem to have hit the nail on the head with those aspects.

17. cappy chick says:

I have Cap moon, he has Virgo Mars, Trine
    I have Scorpio mars, he has Sagittarius moon , Square..
    He has Scorpio Sun.
    The attraction is intense, it’s like being pulled in by a magnet.

18. Hello there, any astrologers post here? I’ve been driving myself into madness trying to understand something and it just occurred to me, perhaps astrology could help explain the situation.

Should anyone care to tackle this please let me know and I would give birthdate information.

I recently moved from an apartment that I lived at for 11 years. I was basically forced out due to how hostile the environment had become.

I was involved with a fellow who lived across the street. When his best friend found out that we were involved he decided to move into my building and jokingly said that he could now keep up with the drama between me and A.

We were involved but it I was never his girl friend. Anyhow to make a very long story short. I came to realize that J was in the closet with very obsessive, possessive and creepy, disturbing feelings for my guy, his best friend, A.

J is one of the creepiest, sneakiest, negative, domineering and rigid person I’ve ever known. I can not understand why A is even his friend. I don’t at all understand why A is so loyal to this guy.

I was helpless to do anything to prevent J from influencing A to share his anger and negativity toward me. In time I ended up being an enemy to a man who was the love of my life. To explain all the things this sick person did would take a very long time. I have reason to believe that A is naive about the feelings of his so-called friend. He is in total denial that J is in the closet. Anyhow, if anyone might be interested to see the charts involved perhaps having an understanding though astrology could help in my healing. I am so mangled inside that it seems impossible to ever heal. Basically a drama triangle was forced on to me that I could not escape from, that A was oblivious of and I ended up having to leave because the hate being directed at me was unbearable. A believed every story J made up, not knowing the motives. He never checked with me, he was loyal to this creep. Both are from Europe. Anyhow, let me k now if anyone is interested.

Thank you!

19. what about two aspects together ?

my moon (cancer) square his mars (libra)

his moon (capricorn) trine my mars (virgo)

I don’t see what the big deal is between cancer and libra, why are they square ?

20. also, what does a ceapricorn moon need in order to feel secure emotionally ?

(other than money, which I cannot provide for him: he’ll have to earn his own)

21. cappy chick says:

for a capricorn moon to feel secure, you have to show him that you love him, and that it is safe to open up. I have Cap moon, I don’t feel secure unless I feel safe with the person and I know exactly how they feel.

22. ay ayay!
    this sounds like the reason ive been chasing this guy around for the past few yrs. Hes a aries moon. I’m a mars libra. not sure about the degrees
    its not easy to explain.
    I’m also a sag moon and hes a taurus mars (quincunx?- bad news?)
    I’m glad i met him i just don’t know what to do about it. it sucks.

23. Now after reading this article I’m understanding why the guy I’ve been seeing, the connection is sometimes intense and other times so laid back.

I’ve got a Scorpio Moon and he has a Mars in Taurus.
    Then he has a Gemini Moon and I’ve got a Mars in Gemini.

Then you throw in my Aries sun and his Pisces sun and I’m wondering a lot more now, especially with all the other aspects, but this moon-mars bit really opens my eyes to how strong the attractive probably is between us… I’m glad I found this blog posting!

24. Great article! When you talk about moon mars contacts does that apply to hard aspects as well? My Libra Moon is square my friends cancer mars.

25. He has the moon in Taurus conjuncting my Mars in Taurus in the 8th house.I have the moon in Leo conjuncting his dramatic and fiery Mars in Leo–the Leo especially generates a lot of fire and heat!!

26. I have sun is sag moon in taurus and mars in sag and venus in capricorn he has sun in aquarius moon in capricorn venus in sagittarius and mars in sagittarius so what does dat do for us .help!

27. Cool article!

I met this girl who’s energy is so strong on me and it seems as if it’s a mutual feeling. I find her irresistible and just being together even while doing nothing feels great. I am trying to find an astrological explanation for this as I have never felt such sublime connection with anyone else.

She’s got Leo Sun, Aries Asc, Pisces Moon, Leo Mercury, Leo Venus, Leo Mars, Gemini Jupiter.
    I’ve got Gemini Sun, Libra Asc, Leo Moon, Taurus Merc, Gemini Venus, Scorpio Mars, Capri Jupiter.

Some aspects:

Moon sextile Mercury
    Moon trine Midheaven
    Moon quintile Jupiter
    etc etc etc!!

Any thoughts???

Thanks

28. I always fall for men whose Moons are aspecting my Mars, but, so far, none have liked me back. One actually had the balls to tell me that he just felt defensive around me, because I seem like such a strong personality(I’m really not aggressive..at least, don’t think so)
    Truth is I already have a Moon-Mars conjunction, natally, so I’m used to the “hot water” energy it created, and I love it.
    I guess some people freak out cause of the passion and intensity it stirs up in them.
    Truth is I am looking for someone to lose myself into, emotionally, psychologially, sexually, in every possible way..want to “merge”, which is a Pisces thing, I guess. Maybe I come on too strongly?

29. littlemermaid says:

any thoughts on how the quincunx might manifest itself? the boy I like now has his Mars in 28 Libra, quincunx my Moon in 29 Taurus.

30. ocianavoss says:

Was seeing/ had a few nights of passion with someone who’s mars trined my moon
    in Scorpio
    This article described word for word the psycho-sexual dynamics of what was
    LOVE those mars in Scorpios
    meow

31. Susana, what happened with your moon-mars connection guy? I am so curious. You describe exactly how I feel with mine…my moon conjunct his mars at exact degree in Gemini, and my venus trine his moon in aquarius/pisces cusp. Also our moons conjunct each others’ saturns. It’s extremely uncomfortable, but so compelling. I have a boyfriend, a good relationship, but can’t stop thinking about this man..I feel that I want to merge with him, but I am not even physically attracted to him!! I sense he is attracted to me, yet equally uncomfortable, even angry at me. I am even a little frightened of what can happen here, but don’t know if I can resist the magnetic pull he has on me..I can’t sleep, can’t eat, can’t stop thinking about him.