How to manipulate a Scorpio — Or, the dark side of astrological knowledge

Somebody found this blog by typing “How to manipulate a Scorpio” into google. People type lots of interesting questions into google, and I am privy to just a small portion of what’s in the collective’s mind, thanks to the wonders of web statistics. And although most of it is pretty innocent — along the lines of “How do I get an Aries man to fall in love with me?” — other questions reveal the dark side of how we use astrology.

It may be the case that astrology is not “spiritual” for some people who believe in it. I’m not one of them. If you buy the premise that the solar system works in such a way that the astronomical position of all the planets — as well as the Sun and Moon — correlates to an astounding degree with human character through an interpretation of these planetary bodies as archetypal symbols, then you ought to come to the conclusion that some Divine Intelligence designed the solar system so that we humans could notice this correspondence (“As Above, So Below”) and experience awe of Her or His or Its Workings.

Having established that life is not meaningless, that there is a connection between our affairs on Earth and (our observation of) these “impersonal” planets millions of miles away from us, we may believe that we are all in this together, and that harming one person harms us all. Being “spiritual” is not about having deeper knowledge about the workings of Divine Intelligence, but using that knowledge to diminish human suffering, not add to it.

Hence, using one’s understanding of astrology to manipulate another human being is plain wrong. Although I’m not a Christian, I would go so far as to say it’s a sin. If you understand someone’s inner character — whether by virtue of knowing his Sun sign or his whole chart — you are in a position of power. You cannot use that power against someone.

So even if I did know how to manipulate a Scorpio, I wouldn’t tell you.

Comments

1. This is why we love Jeffrey. He’s got integrity.

2. LOL.. oh man. Some people. that was a great answer.

I’m no angel.

4. Good jod ,well said!

5. proserpine says:

I agree with you Jeffrey.
    I don’t know that the person was so very serious though.(I hope not).
    I would rather know what he or she was thinking and why they wanted to know how to do such a thing.
    Chances are it is some sort of love affair, but whatever kind of relationship, I was thinking the person probably feels hurt, powerless and /or rejected by the Scorpio.
    I have been really humiliated by a Scorpio, so, maybe that is why I think that myself.
    Therefore he/she wants to know how to get around the Scorpio, or how to get revenge.
    Not that that’s a good thing by any means.
    But I bet that is how come the question was asked.

Good point, proserpine. I wonder how many people move past their vengeful fantasies, and how many indulge them.

7. Well, Jeffrey, if angels were the only ones with integrity, we would all be in great trouble. Much worse than we are in today.

8. Blah Blah says:

Good job, Jeffrey!

I tend to view astrology in a similar way that you do, as part of a pattern that explains why people act the way we do. I have an interest in psychology and sociology, and astrology seems to explain patterns I’ve noticed in human behavior that still have psychologists guessing. :)

I came across a book with the sole purpose of teaching people how to “manipulate” others by knowing their birth data. I read the entire book, but the advice just felt very evil and underhanded. Some people may read it and not get that it was written to be humorous (I hope!) and actually use this information for “no-good”, which is quite scary.

While I enjoy discussing astrology with people, I am now wary of those who immediately ask me “So when’s your birthday?”

9. Shirley says:

That’s just evil, lol. I’m glad you don’t offer any info on that. Great blog btw! I just discovered you!

Thanks, Shirley. Welcome!

11. Hmmm let that person be the one to ask you the questions, sooner or later he wil mess up on one, scrp’s are known for perfection onces you know that they know they messed up they won’t stop untill that problem is solved.

12. i searched “manipulate zodiac” – not for a particular person or sign, just a knowledge of how to deal with some different signs and different types of people, i wasn’t looking for some dark side of zodiac, but i thought others might have been that negative to write something up, a similar reason as to why you wrote this article – I just felt there might be a useful google lead.

btw what if the person was a scorpio and wanted some tips on how other people view him/her, to better gauge a degree of change?

13. David, if you want to know how people view scorpio, try Scorpiolicious.